This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. Lamentations 3:21, 24
I sometimes wonder how Moses could keep going.
Have you ever had to keep hoping in the midst of hopeless circumstances?
Surely, as Moses encountered Pharaoh’s hardened rejection, time after time, his hope for a breakthrough must have been getting a little thin?
Can you imagine his discouraged heart as he looked into the angry face of that guy?
Hard hearts… can really crush hope.
I know what it is to look into the angry face of a loved one who suffers from a stony heart.
Yes, that’s right, suffers!
And, I know how their suffering can keep you up at night, walking the floor, praying with tears flooding down your face, looking for that first-aid for your heart’s dearest hopes, that can only come from God.
Sometimes God seems so silent.
(Yes, I know.)
Fire by night
In those long dark hours, in the middle of the night, when your hopes seem to be holding together by mere threads? It is the Word of God that bring a reviving fresh wind.
In my own desperation, I needed something that was eternal. Something that would outlast all my dark fears and hopelessness.
And, you know what?
I found it… there, in my bible.
Promises from God are like fire in the night.
Promises for fraying hopes
Lately, my hope has again been getting a little frayed around the edges.
My exhausted waiting needs some fresh oxygen and something to bring my hopes a little fresh courage.
So, off to God’s Word I went!
Below are some of the promises that God has given me in the past few days.
- For since the world began no one has seen or heard of such a God as ours, who works for those who wait for him! Isaiah 64:4 TLB
- But God’s not finished. He’s waiting around to be gracious to you. He’s gathering strength to show mercy to you. God takes the time to do everything right—everything. Those who wait around for him are the lucky ones. Isaiah 30:18 MSG
- O my people in Jerusalem, you shall weep no more, for he will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. He will answer you. Isaiah 30:19 TLB
- And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21 KJV
- Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: Isaiah 40:4
These, that have brought me new strength, as I have waited for God to move my mountains!
My favorite promise
I have a favorite promise in my Bible.
When the LORD directs my feet there, no matter what else is going on in my life, my hope soars when I read these words:
The word used there for EXPECTATION is the Hebrew word, TIQVAH.
One of it’s meanings is, joyful hope, but my favorite is this one: The thing I long for.
God sees into our aching hearts and He knows exactly what and who we are longing for.
Even in the rain, “His eye is on the sparrow…
And, I know He watches me.“
I love those words, don’t you?
I have sung them to myself, in many a dark night, when my hope was getting more than a little threadbare.
His eye is on you, too.
He knows what you are longing for.
His promises to you will be fulfilled at just the right time.
Hold on. He sees you. He loves you. He knows how your heart aches. He’s coming.
This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.lamentations 3:21-25 kjv