With my whole heart, with my whole life, and with my innermost being, I bow in wonder and love before you, the holy God! Psalm 103:1 TPT
I do believe that God wants a relationship that is full of heart-to-heart intimacy–but not at the expense of us losing our wonder at who He is.
Google defines WONDER like this:
a feeling of surprise mingled with admiration, caused by something beautiful, unexpected, unfamiliar, or inexplicable.”
Example: He had stood in front of it, observing the intricacy of the ironwork with the wonder of a child.
Similar: awe, admiration, wonderment, fascination, surprise
Yes, may we never lose the wonder of a child!
A heart of fresh perspective
If you’ve lost it during these dark days of quarantine… the wonder that is, can I suggest another trip to the Hubble site?
I know I’ve said this before, but when I need a heart of fresh perspective on the unfathomable greatness of God, I go to the Hubble pictures for a renewed sense of awe.
There I see such stunning beauty; such endless displays of color and light, with patterns and numbers of stars that cannot be counted!
And yet, the Word of God in the book of Isaiah says, that He has named each star!
- To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.
- Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
- Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the Lord, and my judgment is passed over from my God?
- Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
- He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
- Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
- But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:25-31 KJV
When the FEAR looms large…
Perhaps that is exactly when we need a fresh dose of wonder and awe!
In the vastness of that canvas called “space,” I can see the handiwork of God on wondrous display.
I see anew, a God who looks on this little planet He created, with such intricacy and exacting balance.
Then, once again, I am reassured that there is Someone so much greater than myself, or anything this earth has with all its trouble and fear.
Fresh revelations of WONDER
This God, who names each star, is “The One” who still holds it all in His hands.
He has everything in His absolute control.
(What wondrous peace there is in knowing that.)
So, may The Church pray:
Merciful Holy Spirit, come, baptize our heart’s anew with fresh revelations of Your wonder and love.
In Jesus Christ’s omnipotent name we ask this, amen.
Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Isaiah 40:1 KJV